Gibsonville’s first public library opened its doors to the public on June 5, 1956. It started out as a bookcase housed in the Whitesell Fuel Services office on West Main Street (where Jack’s Bar-B-Q is now), and was only open for 3 hours a week. It was created and staffed by members of the Gibsonville Book Club in cooperation with the Greensboro Public Library.
In 1958, the newly formed Friends of the Library were able to raise $1,340.74 in a community fund drive to support the library and facilitate the move into a larger space. In December of that year, the library held a holiday open house in its new location – 109 Piedmont Avenue, the former home of May’s Grocery in downtown Gibsonville.
Thirty years after that first move, the library relocated into its current location at 506 Church Street. An open house was held in February, 1989 in its new home – the 1937 building that the Gibsonville School used as a home economics classroom.